- It was originally inhabited by the Lenape tribe.
- When the Dutch emigrated to the area they named it Breukelen after a municipality in their homeland. In the case of payment for this land, they went Dutch Treat. This means they stole it from the Indians.
- The name of the town went from Breuckelen, to Brockland, to Brocklin, to Brookline, to Brookland and eventually, to Not Manhattan.
- It has a bridge named after it. Maybe you’ve heard of it? The Breuckelen Brockland Brocklin Brookline Brookland Bridge.
- This past weekend Bossy was in Brooklyn. And she loved it.
If you liked this post mentioning the Lenape, then click this link for Everything You Need To Know About The Seminoles according to a shoebox diorama constructed by Bossy’s Daughter when she was 11.
Or click here for another shoebox diorama courtesy of Bossy’s daughter– this one is about Homo heidelbergensis and their large faces. Well let’s hope they were faces.
And speaking of shoebox dioramas and the fact Bossy’s family lives in one, click this link for the time they had a huge fight that resulted in organized kitchen cabinets.
Charlie saysMarch 11, 2013 at 8:42 am
LOL: “The early brownstones were made of wood.”
I was born in the Bay Ridge section of Breukelen (under the Verrazano bridge) and recently had the chance to walk thru the old neighborhood. Amazingly little had changed. Of course Paul Lusk’s Delicatessen and John Buffone’s Shoemaker Shop had gone (yes I grew up in a DeNiro film), but the big chain retailers had not taken over. Good to see. Thanks for the memories, Bossy.
bossysMom saysMarch 11, 2013 at 9:13 am
yep, lots of informative and entertaining facts, just like Homo heidelbergensis. Went back and read that. Too great.
Her Ace in the Hole saysMarch 11, 2013 at 12:44 pm
I think Bossy takes many photos while laying down on sidewalks.
zidia saysMarch 11, 2013 at 12:57 pm
any thoughts you might add about the Brooklyn Dodgers?
Alexandra saysMarch 11, 2013 at 8:00 pm
One of my college house mates was/is the daughter of the Voice of the Breukelen/LA Dodgers. I thought you should know.
KathyB saysMarch 11, 2013 at 10:00 pm
Twisted Susan saysMarch 11, 2013 at 10:30 pm
Enthusiastic recommendation for your next trip: brooklynflea.com
bruhva G saysMarch 11, 2013 at 10:36 pm
Love the shots of Brooklyn. Wish I coulda been chuggin around wit ya. Flatbush ….. heh hheh
The Great Gatsby saysMarch 11, 2013 at 11:59 pm
Was also in Brooklyn on the same day. Hip beanies and boots abounding.
mrs. g. saysMarch 12, 2013 at 12:14 am
It’s nice to have you back, Bossy!