Travel and Leisure magazine put together a list of the Top 25 travel-related websites, which Bossy will try to get through without dying of a broken pulmonary trunk.
1. The best site for booking flights is Sidestep.com. It pulls the lowest prices from 600 airlines and makes it easy to select departure times. Arrival times? Not so fast.
2. The best site for locating low-fare carriers within Europe is Flycheapo.com. You select your origin and destination cities and they’ll tell you how to get the cheapest direct flight. For instance, between Rome and Oslo, Denmark’s Sterling Air carrier will La La La Bossy Can’t Hear You.
3. Say you have the money and travel dates, but no clear international destination in mind. Farecompare.com allows you to input how much you want to spend and the dates you want to travel, and it produces maps and a list of possible cities at low fares pulled from 500 national and international airlines. Bossy wonders what they can do with the $3.25 she saved by not going
to Starbucks on a healthy walk with her friend Martha this morning. Hi Martha! Caught you reading when you should be cleaning behind your toilet for the visiting in-laws. Hi in-laws!
4. Ever wonder if you should buy that ticket now or wait for a better price? Farecast.com uses Historic Pricing Data Technology to predict the likelihood of fare fluctuation. They also offer a supplementary insurance service which costs $10 and covers the difference if your ticket price rises when they told you it would go down. Curses not included.
5. For booking hotels there’s a new kid in town who goes by the name of Kayak.com. Kayak searches an international database consisting of more than twice the number of hotels available through old arthritic booking sites like Hotels.com.
6. So let’s say you’re traveling totally last minute but you want to stay in a luxury hotel. And let’s say Who are you and can Bossy have your life?
7. Just kidding. Lastminutetravel.com will produce a range of reduced rate luxury properties in the city of your choice. You spoiled bastard.
8. And let’s say that you want to research the restaurants in your destination city. And let’s say you’re really dead sick of people who use the expression, “Let’s say.” Menupages.com allows you to search 25,000 restaurants across eight cities. Wait, eight whole cities? That’s it? Never mind, now we hate this unambitious site. Edited to add: Never mind, we don’t hate them anymore – because the guy from Menupages just emailed Bossy and he was, like, the coolest guy she ever didn’t meet.
9. How about this: imagine you want to find the secret local restaurant with the exposed brick walls and white tablecloths, tucked into the cobblestone backstreet with only distant violins and gas lanterns to guide you and what was Bossy saying? Right. Chowhound.com is a community website of foodie people from all over the globe who share their secret finds. On a website. Seen by trillions. Good luck with that whole secret thing.
10. Xe.com is a site devoted to converting currency from 250 locations. Updated every minute, the conversion program is easy to use which doesn’t stop the news from being really really fecking bad. Hello American
11. Speaking of America, need to know how you can get around once you’re in your destination city? Hopstop.com provides specific fares and information about U.S. public transportation. Wait, the U.S. has public transportation?
12. If you want to customize your itinerary before embarking on your trip, Homeandabroad.com provides detailed information for 90 destinations. They’ll tell you where to stay and what to eat and what to do with your free time and what to read before you go. After you’re finished with this site you may want to check out YouAreCompulsive.com.
25. TheBathroomdiaries.com is a website dedicated to providing information about public restrooms. They reviewed 12,000 bathrooms across 120 countries and Bossy is sorry but do you have to be going on vacation to frequent this website? Sounds like the shit.
Also? This is their Masthead Photo:
Mary Alice saysOctober 4, 2007 at 10:20 am
Wow. In awe. Soooo…in all that research did you discover one that matches rich bastards that want to sponsor poor bastards on all expense paid vacations? Without any kinky expectations of repayment…you know rich bastards with pure hearts? Where is that website?
blackbird saysOctober 4, 2007 at 10:32 am
And in the time you spend researching all the stuff about the airfares and rates and secret restaurants you could FLY TO ITALY AND BACK.
Don’t ask me how I know…
Nilsa S. saysOctober 4, 2007 at 10:36 am
Who needs Travel and Leisure magazine when we’ve got you. I want to hop on the Bossy mobile and go where you’re going. Ever thought of becoming a tour guide?
blu saysOctober 4, 2007 at 10:55 am
I’m with Mary Alice! Where’s that website?!?!
Have The T-Shirt saysOctober 4, 2007 at 10:58 am
OK, this is now in my travel bookmarks. What’s next? I have a folder in my favorites called parenting that needs a few bookmarks.
Juliet Pennay saysOctober 4, 2007 at 11:02 am
That website is
Does not guarantee that millionaire isn’t aslo a psychotic killer, but I need me something from Tiffany’s(like YESTERDAY) so who the hell cares.
I heart Bossy’s reviews.
sue saysOctober 4, 2007 at 11:24 am
I love the idea of bossy as our tour guide! Oh, wait, then she could take embarrassing pictures of us and post them on I am bossy. You know, though, it might be worth it. What would her tour guide uniform look like?
Howard saysOctober 4, 2007 at 11:28 am
I use Sidestep to arrange my boss’s flights and that’s all I get to do. God forbid that I get to travel anywhere. Oh, wait, he did forbid it — I don’t want to get into it.
Farecast I’ve tried to use, but it gets to be a little complicated at times and it makes my brain hurt.
Grundir the Implacable saysOctober 4, 2007 at 11:35 am
What about last minute tickets for flying home to Mordor for the weekend?
vuboq saysOctober 4, 2007 at 11:45 am
You can buy something at Starbucks for only $3.25? Where is this mythical reduced-price-bargain-basement Starbucktopia?
Miss Britt saysOctober 4, 2007 at 11:46 am
My husband is a contractor and lives and dies by Where The Good Places Are To Shit In The Middle Of The Day.
He will be very pleased with my bookmarking. 🙂
Suebob saysOctober 4, 2007 at 11:50 am
I just want to say that I have actually relaxed in a chi-chi hotel lobby in A Major American City in close proximity to Bossy, which is almost like traveling with Bossy, so everyone else should be soooo jealous of me and my fabulous life (even if I did have $4 coffee spilled all down my chest at that point).
Nessacery saysOctober 4, 2007 at 11:50 am
I will have to make note of all of those sites.
A couple other resources I use for cheap travel, that aren’t listed in the article, are travelzoo.com and shermanstravel.com
Both sites send out a weekly newsletter of the best travel deals on the web. Thats how I was able to fly from Newark to Cologne Germany last February for $98 each way. SERIOUSLY. $98.
MammaLoves saysOctober 4, 2007 at 11:53 am
Oooh!! Tagging this on del.icio.us right now!!
Moi saysOctober 4, 2007 at 11:54 am
I heart Bossy. You are sooo going to make my life easier if I ever have the chance to go anywhere.
Is there a site for ‘places you can drop your kids when you want to go and have fun in peace’?
Heather B. saysOctober 4, 2007 at 12:05 pm
You totally read my mind. I needed this. Thanks, G.
Queeny saysOctober 4, 2007 at 12:31 pm
Now you tell me after I already got tickets to the Big Apple at TheMostExpensiveFareICouldFind.com.
Know where I can score Broadway tickets for the buck 99 I have in my purse?
stella saysOctober 4, 2007 at 12:45 pm
ummm. did BOSSY get paid for this post???
btw. recently i found a ticet to paris for 380 bucks. did you hear me? 380 one dollar bills.
criche! (pronounced CRY-KEE) i was certain zack would go for this. i mean, what a STEAL? sounded great until he mentioned how we would afford to you know…BE THERE. not working and all. then there is the car….the accomodations…
suddenly we were talking 3k. i was majorly dissapointed.
Alli ~Mrs. Fussypants saysOctober 4, 2007 at 12:54 pm
From where do you get your inspiration for such random fabulousity? I dig it.
The Domestic Goddess saysOctober 4, 2007 at 1:12 pm
Since I don’t fly (because I puke +100) I’m just gonna close my eyes and pretend I need to visit all those web sites. The bathroom one will come in handy, though. ‘Cause when you gotta pee, like, EVERY FIVE MINUTES, having a bathroom list is very good indeed.
Going someplace, Bossy?
Jess saysOctober 4, 2007 at 1:23 pm
Instead of eating today, I’ll think I’ll just read Chowhound.com.
Marie saysOctober 4, 2007 at 1:39 pm
That bathroom one is awesome.
Momo Fali saysOctober 4, 2007 at 2:21 pm
I think Bossy would look good as a tour guide. Maybe something plaid…
wakeupandsmellthecoffee saysOctober 4, 2007 at 3:44 pm
Thanks for saving me the trouble of buying Travel and Leisure (not that I can in the UK anyway).
Oh, The Joys saysOctober 4, 2007 at 4:21 pm
bossy would talk trash about my family and their time spent in bathrooms when she’s right here promoting bathrooms of the WORLD?!
Mrs. G. saysOctober 4, 2007 at 4:35 pm
I have a hunch Idaho senator, Larry Craig, might have been a frequent visitor to The Bathroom Diaries…it didn’t work out so well for him.
Mr Farty saysOctober 4, 2007 at 4:36 pm
“secret local restaurant with the exposed brick walls and white tablecloths, tucked into the cobblestone backstreet…”
Oh! Oh! I’ve been there!
Like I’m gonna tell you – BWAHAHAHAHA!
Nin saysOctober 4, 2007 at 7:11 pm
oooh *actually potentially useful info*
seattle mamacita saysOctober 4, 2007 at 7:23 pm
bossy you da best i’m actually making some travel plans in the next months so i’m bookmarking this one
Suzy saysOctober 4, 2007 at 9:04 pm
‘How to use photoshop’ and now this. You have got to be a coke head to get all this stuff done and raise your husband and child.
Deb saysOctober 4, 2007 at 9:46 pm
Kayak.com? There must be rooms full of kayak makers and outfitters just pissed about that freaking airline ticket company holding onto THEIR name. “Dude! Have they ever even been in a kayak?”
FENICLE saysOctober 4, 2007 at 9:48 pm
We are getting ready to go on vacation so this will come in handy as I do some internet research! Thanks!!
OMSH saysOctober 4, 2007 at 11:03 pm
BOSSY rocks the travel blog world. How can you make it so fun to read about toilets?
Jahooni saysOctober 4, 2007 at 11:03 pm
How do you do THIS? Create is soooooo not the word for you. Genius. Maybe?!
Meghan saysOctober 5, 2007 at 2:26 am
I used to go to xe.com to see if there was any country in which I would be rich.
Teryn saysOctober 5, 2007 at 3:41 pm
That bathroom one is right up my alley. That’s not normal, is it?
Jazz saysOctober 5, 2007 at 10:43 pm
I knew there was a reason to buy a lotto ticket today.
Wait. Dang! I forgot!
Anyway, I love your reviews.
Ninja Emery saysOctober 6, 2007 at 11:07 pm
And for those of us who feel jealous of those who travel, go here for sickness and accident reports on cruise lines: http://www.cruisejunkie.com/, or if you’re hungry, try my cruise food photos at:http://community.webshots.com/album/89483759AuoXDe. But does anyone have a good smoke-free travel link, that’s what I need.
superblondgirl saysOctober 8, 2007 at 10:58 am
I can’t believe you went through them all. And you aren’t even headed to a luxury hotel. That is dedication to your cause. Maybe someone will send you some freebies for plugging their site now?
MontanaJen saysOctober 9, 2007 at 3:30 pm
MontanaJen is totally making out with Bossy in her brain for this fantastic collection of very good links.
Afternoon=shot making up dream vacations and how little she *could* be paying for them if she ever would take advantage of ‘vacation time’.