You are looking at a deer tick. Don’t run out of the room — Bossy’s sister in law we’re looking at you — this post is not about bugs. Not to worry. No, this post is about deer ticks.
Kidding! Actually Bossy wants to talk about this:
It’s Lyme, Connecticut — the namesake of the disease which was originally discovered in and around this region in the mid 1970s.
The first thing you should know is: Bossy is a little bit obsessed with this disease, which is often impossible to diagnosis and has devastating long term ramifications.
Just ask Bossy’s friend Jeff about Bossy’s little obsession, where little equals all kinds of big.
The second thing you should know is: Bossy, who has been obsessed with this disease for two decades, has been pronouncing it wrong this whole time.
Somewhere along the way Bossy thought there was an apostrophe S attached to her obsession, sort of like the deer tick attaches to the underside of one’s ear lobe!
But Bossy can’t for the life of her imagine where she picked this up! Kind of like the deer tick you pick up on your pant leg when walking on that path!
Bossy mispronounces lots of other things too, but none come to mind. Mostly because one must have a mind in order for things to come to it.
So Bossy looked online to find a list of common mispronunciations. Shall we?
- Across, not acrossed
- Ask, not aks
- Nuclear, not nucular
- Barbed wire, not bob wire
- Cardsharp, not card shark
- Are you kidding with the cardsharp?
- Bossy has been saying that wrong her whole life
- Champ at the bit. Not chomp at the bit
- Uh-oh with the whole champ at the bit thing. Just saying
- Escape. Not excape
- For all intents and purposes, not for all intensive purposes
- Bossy was guilty of writing that once. For all intensive purposes. That’s okay, it was only a letter to Bossy’s son’s teacher
- Oh Bossy, who taught you English?
- Height. Not heighth
- Long-lived. Not long-lived.
- Seriously, that’s what the website says, long-lived not long-lived
- Bossy read and reread that one until her eyes bled and still she can’t find the difference
- Spit and image. Not spitting image
- Are you kidding Bossy with the spit and image? Bossy is putting herself back to bed for a week
When it comes to saying things incorrectly, Bossy can sum up her experience in this way: Bossy’s dad doesn’t call her Miss Malaprop for no reason.
Which is what today’s Ten-Word Challenge is all about. In exactly ten words, can you tell Bossy about a word or phrase you or your loved one gets wrong?
And be sure to check back later today for the wrongest words on the web!
Here’s the list of 100 Most Often Mispronounced Words